Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Furniture Design



Furniture Design Critique 
Ariana Hernandez 


During the process in creating a teddy bear mailbox, I figured that it would be odd. I decided to completely drift my project toward a stand. I pictured my piece to be a wooden stand with a huge bowl on top of the stand, to place small objects. The objects the bowl would contain is; keys, jewelry, gum etc. The color combination I wanted to use was autumn colors. My stand would be a burgundy shade to go along with my lamps. That are brown and burgundy. Therefore, my lamp and stand would look great together.

The process of creating my wooden stand was a bit concerning. The would stand was not completely straight, It had a curve here and there. I identified potential solutions and found an effective strategy to make it less noticeable. I used sand paper to make it somewhat even on both ends. As I added finishing touches, I got an idea from my  teacher to add copper strips to the sides. So, the book shelves on the sides are blinged out and catch someone's eye. Seeing my final result was amazing, the last minute finishing touch helped my project. The goldish Orange color of copper and burgundy went very well together. I also weaved my bowl instead of paper mâché. After discussing many issues with the size of the plastic bowl I originally brought it in, I decided to weave it and I loved the outcome.

Just like everything has their strengths and weaknesses, I encountered some myself. The size of my bowl was too small for my stand. It simply looked unbalanced. The bowl I brought in was plastic and it had detailed that made it appear as if it was glass. So, after receiving feedback and critiques from my peers and teacher, I decided to go with a weaved bowl. I used wire as my armature. However, the number of wires forming the shape of a hemi-sphere was unequal. Due to this issue, I had to skip one wire so every round of yarn either went over or under. I eventually, added another wire to not have the problem of skipping one. This benefited my project greatly. The final product was amazing overall. I felt that everything worked well together. Everything was balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment